Thursday, October 22, 2009

Barefoot Bloggers: Blue Cheese Souffle


This month's second of two selections for Barefoot Bloggers was Blue Cheese Soufflé, as chosen by Summer of Sexy Apartment. The recipe can be found by clicking on the link above or in Ina's Barefoot in Paris cookbook on page 50.

I have the nastiest cold right now and not much appetite, so I scaled the recipe down to make two ramekins worth. It turned out surprisingly well for my ingredient adjustments. My primary concern was puffery and whether I'd be able to taste it with my deadened cootie ridden tastebuds.

It browned and puffed up very high and proud, but deflated even as I was taking photographs, so you're seeing it on its way down. Fortunately, it was piquant enough to taste and comforting enough to feel like, even in its small size, I'd had a proper warm dinner. I wasn't up to a salad, which I thought would be the best companion, so instead diced up two small heirloom tomatoes, topped with a bit of pesto and olive oil and a few dollops of Burrata Cheese, and had my Cheese Duo -- Blue Cheese Souffle and Burrata Caprese Salad. Thanks Summer, I enjoyed this!

P.s. Like Eva, I made this is a toaster oven of all things, so I could watch it closely. Being fearless sometimes had its advantages, like being bold enough to actually make souffle in a little toaster oven. It worked fine!

5 comments:

  1. How you feel better soon Kate. Your souffle looks great. You are right though - you have to be quick in taking the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feel better! Mine was falling as I was taking pics too. Well, I was a bit slower with the camera than you were so mine had fallen quite a bit by the time I got a decent pic. Oh well. I ate a hunk of havarti while mine was baking because I was hungry :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I am in love with you! I have been trying to get that nail to grow right for years now. Literally. I am pretty sure it was in 2007 when I smashed it. I kept trying super glue down the crack but it never worked. I am buying some of those tomorrow! You rock my socks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The color of your souffle is wonderful. I hope you'll feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your souffles look great. We enjoyed them too. Feel better.

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE SHARE YOUR VALUABLE OPINION WITH THE WORLD. INQUIRING MINDS, MOSTLY MINE, WANT TO KNOW WHAT YOU THINK.