Sunday, February 17, 2008

Oreo Truffles

I've seen cookie based or cake based Truffles tumble out of numerous blogs lately -- the most enviable being red velvet cake truffles and oreo tuffles from Bakerella. They seemed to be a cinch to make, and they were. I knew I wouldn't need the quantity of a full recipe -- I'd surely eat them all (the perils of living alone most of the time) -- so I've provided the recipe for my small batch, plus a crappy cell phone photograph. Visit Bakerella for the Full Monty (and better pictures).



OREO TRUFFLES

8 Oreo sandwich cookies
2 tablespoons cream cheese
1/4 of white chocolate chips or bark

Crush the Oreo sandwich cookies in a small food processor (I used my bullet blender) until completely crumbed (filling and all). Set aside a generous tablespoon of crumbs. Soften 2 tablespoons of cream cheese and stir into the blender cup of oreo crumbs until thoroughly combined, dark, and glossy. Form into small balls immediately, and place on a plate to chill. When chilled, melt the white chocolate chips in a shallow dish. Quickly and carefully dip and roll the chilled truffles in the white chocolate, and place back on chilled plate. Dust the tops of all dipped truffles with the reserved cookie crumbs. This is certainly optional, but I made no attempt to make my dips round and perfect looking -- the heat of the chocolate was melting the truffle somewhat and I prefer the rustic, more natural look. The crumbs aid in the rustic look. Chill again until ready to eat. Makes 8. I ate 2 before the photograph. Absolutely fantastic.

I'm thinking this is one easily adapatable recipe for a variety of needs and tastes.

  • fat free cream cheese or neufchatel, instead of regular cream cheese
  • sugar free oreos instead of regular oreos
  • Trader Joe's Ginger Joe Joe's would make an excellent ginger truffle
  • A lemon sandwich cookie would be delicious, with lemon zest on top
  • Any favorite cookie frankly, would make a wonderful truffle

Verdict: Delicious
Skill: Great for making with children
Repeat? Unfortunately, yes. I see these truffles in my co workers' future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE SHARE YOUR VALUABLE OPINION WITH THE WORLD. INQUIRING MINDS, MOSTLY MINE, WANT TO KNOW WHAT YOU THINK.