Thursday, February 12, 2009

Barefoot Bloggers: Real Spaghetti and Meatballs. Without the Spaghetti. Or the Meatballs.




This week, the Barefoot Bloggers are making Real Spaghetti and Meatballs, as chosen by Rebecca of Ezra Pound Cake.

I made more than the average number of substitutions with this one, simply because this isn't the type of recipe easily adapted by or useful for the solo diner. I have to want to eat an entree all week (leftovers, lunches) when I make it, and with a recipe like this, you have mega leftovers, so you'd better LOVE it. I don't *love* spaghetti and meatballs. In fact, I don't make much pasta.

I've never made my own pasta sauce, though, so thought it was time I learned, so I adapted the Ina Garten recipe for sauce and meatballs, and elected to make smaller portions of it just for a meat sauce. In addition, one of the first recipes I made as a Barefoot Blogger was for Pesto and Peas Pasta Salad, and I still had half a box of the bowtie pasta left over, and wanted to get rid of that, so here it is, a recipe for Ina Garten's Spaghetti and Meatballs.

My substitutions:

I used bowtie pasta from the BB pesto salad event
I used loose angus ground beef and italian sausage
I stirred in two tablespoons of heavy cream to the sauce, just before serving.


I thought the sauce was better than jarred, of course, but it wasn't so great I'd make it a go-to recipe. This is simply because I'm not a frequent pasta eater and when I do have it, I don't tend to order or eat much in the way of tomato based sauces. In fact, I often have it left off the pizza, as well. That's why I added a few tablespoons of cream, to make it more of a creamy bolognese sauce, which I liked *much* better. What doesn't cream or butter improve?

Still, it was tasty and I'm glad to have made it.

About this challenge: The Barefoot Bloggers join forces and cook or bake recipes by Barefoot Contessa Ina Garten each month, chosen in order by members, and present them for discussion on two Thursdays each month. Hungry? Please join us at the table!

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE SHARE YOUR VALUABLE OPINION WITH THE WORLD. INQUIRING MINDS, MOSTLY MINE, WANT TO KNOW WHAT YOU THINK.