Friday, February 15, 2008

Brussels Sprouts and Cod

I must be on a fish bent this week -- I've made fish and veggies yet again. I wanted to use up several rogue brussels sprouts left in my crisper, I had a piece of fillet of cod waiting for me, plus, one Meyer lemon going quite soft.

I wanted to eat without waiting for the sprouts to roast (my method of choice) and so I elected to pan fry them in the same method one would shred and pan-fry cabbage. Same great flavor as roasted sprouts, but much much quicker.

Pan Fried Brussels Sprouts with Bacon

HOT SPROUT SLAW

4 cleaned, thinly sliced brussels sprouts
1 slice bacon
1 knob of butter or lite spread
1 splash of olive oil
Schezwan Pepper Salt (or your spicy salt of choice)

Render one slice of bacon in a hot skillet. Add a knob of butter or spread, and a lite splash of olive oil, if you feel you need a bit more fat than the bacon provided (I did). Meanwhile, you will have cleaned the outer leaves from 4 sprouts and discarded the stems. Shred as for slaw, and add to hot skillet. I cooked half immediately, turning and toasting until it began to barely brown. I added the remainder of the slaw and cooked just until wilted and soft. In that way, I had a serving of hot sprout slaw in which some of it was warm, crusty and well browned and some was tender and butter. Best of both worlds. Season liberally with salt and pepper, or, as here, Schezwan Pepper Salt. I finished with a splash of lemon juice.



Pan Fried Cod

I seasoned and floured one fillet of cod, added it to the same pan as the sprouts, and quickly sauteed until well browned, adding copious amounts of lemon juice. Finished with salt and pepper, and serve atop the sprouts.

Verdict: Delicious!
Skill: Monkey Simple
Repeat? Definately on the Sprouts, but I'm done with fish for awhile

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE SHARE YOUR VALUABLE OPINION WITH THE WORLD. INQUIRING MINDS, MOSTLY MINE, WANT TO KNOW WHAT YOU THINK.