Tuesday, February 17, 2009

French Toast Pancakes



I had a cello pack of three frozen pancakes to use up from my freezer. I am *really* pleased with myself for clearing out space and ridding myself of pre-made or purchased bakery products as part of my BYOB (Bake Your Own Bread and Bakery Products) participation for 2009.

I also had an egg.

Hmmm. So I could make a pancake plate with a scrambled egg, or, I could just use the pancakes, dip them in the beaten egg, and prepare them as french toast.

Q: Would it taste like pancakes, french toast, or both?

A: Both! The pancake itself wasn't terribly great (generic brand) but with a homemade leftover pancake, frozen so that it doesn't sop up too much egg and holds firm, it would be quite a nice twist.

5 comments:

  1. NOT ORIGINAL. I MADE THAT UP LIKE 5 YEARS AGO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sorry, I didn't know that I couldn't post something I came up with in my kitchen, if you came up with it 5 years ago. I did't know I was following in your wake. I humbly beg your pardon, Oh Great Chef and Queen or King of Good Manners.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice concoction. I have a ton of leftover pancakes from the other day and I've been craving some French Toast... hmm

    Looks really good! I was curious to see if someone had done this before and I pleasantly satisfied that someone else was pleasantly satisfied by the hybrid. Time to give this a shot then :9

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too googled french toast pancakes to see how they taste and landed here. I am craving french toast, but the only bread I have atm is nutty wheat--that doesn't sound good. But it sounds like pancakes work. Thanks for the write-up!

    The first commenter needs to get over themselves ;/.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I whipped up some french toast pancakes on my own last weekend after an intense craving for FT but lacking any bread. I even went so far as to rebatter one french toast pancake and fry it up again, then french toasted it a second time...by the time it was about 4 inches thick I had french toasted it 5 times and pancaked it six! And you know, it does get better with each layer!

    -KC

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE SHARE YOUR VALUABLE OPINION WITH THE WORLD. INQUIRING MINDS, MOSTLY MINE, WANT TO KNOW WHAT YOU THINK.