Friday, March 7, 2008

No Apologies. I made a loaf of bread from cake mix.

No Apologies:  Bread Cake

The quest for a nice white bread from a bread machine continues. I wanted to find a recipe for automatic bread which doesn't have a hard, thick crust. Here we have Round Two. This, too, turned out nicely, with a thin, tender crust, and a firm texture which was easy to slice.

Pros: Firm but tender texture, easy to slice, no thick crust, and look at that dome! It rose up with pride in spite of me and the wetness of the batter. I was nervous about this one.

Cons: A little too crumbly; the crust fell off the bread on the sides, when sliced; might be too sweet for some.

I didn't think this bread was that sweet -- it's comparable to Hawaii'an Sweet Bread I suppose, but honestly, I think most white sandwich breads are a tad sweet already.

BASIC WHITE BREAD FROM A CAKE MIX

1.25 cups of warm water
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup of yellow cake mix
2.5 cups of bread flour
2 teaspoons yeast

What you see above are the ingredients called for. However, I adapted it slightly. I had such a tender crust from the lecithin I added to the last loaf, I decided to also add 1 tablespoon of lecithin to THIS bread. In addition, I found that this batter was much more wet than others -- it clung to the sides and bottom and was slow to get to the "ball of dough" stage. So, I added a teaspoon of Trader Joe's almond meal, at a time, until it bulked up a little. Probably added 3 teaspoons total, and a few teaspoons of flour as well, until it was a firmer wad of dough. The almond meal may have contributed to the crumbly texture, but perhaps not. The flecks were visible throughout (especially on the dome) and perhaps toned down some of the sweetness you might think would result from cake mix.

Baked on "light crust" for the 1.5 loaf cycle. Total time: 3:05.

Of the two loaves I've made his week, I prefer the Copycat Wonder Bread. It made the best sandwich and toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE SHARE YOUR VALUABLE OPINION WITH THE WORLD. INQUIRING MINDS, MOSTLY MINE, WANT TO KNOW WHAT YOU THINK.