Friday, October 3, 2008

Shrimp and Crab Casserole


Shrimp and Crab Casserole.

I tried to make a quarter out of 15 cents. I recently purchased, and didn't like, a container of Costco shrimp salad. It wasn't terrible. It just lacked flavor, and they used such large shrimp that it wasn't a dainty enough salad for my taste. I didn't want to throw it out, so I doctored it up as a shrimp and crab casserole which was better than the shrimp salad it started life as, but, not good enough to make again.

I remember reading a blog post, quite some time ago, and I wish I'd bookmarked it so I could give her credit. She was expressing her confusion over the comment "I made a batch of pancakes that were terrible, I can't wait until I eat them all and they are gone, so I can try something else." Her argument was, that when you break down the cost of the ingredients of a batch of basic pancakes, you're talking about $3 at most -- why suffer for days eating something you don't like -- not to mention consume the calories from something you don't like? Arn't you worth more than $3.00?

Sure, sure, I am as mindful about waste as you are, but she did make a good point (better than I'm able to recall, here). If you don't want to eat it, don't. Take it into work, donate it to a neighbor, feed the dog. But don't make something out of sub-par ingredients and expect something extraordinary -- it's a rare and happy event when it works.

Another old adage comes to mind -- don't cook with a wine you wouldn't drink. I ignored that advice and although this casserole was adequate and was a hot meal, I didn't really love it, and it goes down the disposal. Now, I've thrown away much more than just the shrimp salad. Silly!

LAME CASSEROLE

Shrimp Salad
Canned Crabmeat
Almonds
Shallot
Siracha Sauce
Cooked Rice
Half and Half
Cheese
Topped with cracker crumbs

Bake until bubbly. Eat without succor. Toss the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE SHARE YOUR VALUABLE OPINION WITH THE WORLD. INQUIRING MINDS, MOSTLY MINE, WANT TO KNOW WHAT YOU THINK.