Thursday, May 1, 2008

Urban Tales: Psst. The Throne is Vacant. Spread the word.

I've got to revive my "Urban Tales" category. I had a blog a year or so ago that wasn't food related, and I included various tales from living in a very urban, downtown environment. They are seldom food related, but who else can I relate these little moments to, if not you guys?


SCENE: THE BUS STOP


TIME: 7:30 A.M.

An elderly woman is there, and she frequently talks to me. Sometimes she's a little batty, sometimes funny, sometimes smart. Sometimes all three.

Elderly Woman: Are you Catholic?

Me: No.

Elderly Woman: Oh, I was hoping you were.

Me: Actually I am, baptized anyway. Just not a very good one.

Elderly Woman: I recommend you work the rosary IMMEDIATELY.

Me: I see. Perhaps I will.

Elderly Woman: The throne is vacant. That's code.

Me: Pardon?

Elderly Woman: THE THRONE IS VACANT. That's code and it's very devilish. Are you a Mason? That code is very bad news for those who know what it means.

Me: No, I'm not a mason. My grandfather was.

Elderly Woman: (Looks at me like I suddenly stink) Get away from me. Stand way over there. SHOO!



1 comment:

  1. oh my nothing like a little battiness at 7:30 in the morning

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE SHARE YOUR VALUABLE OPINION WITH THE WORLD. INQUIRING MINDS, MOSTLY MINE, WANT TO KNOW WHAT YOU THINK.