Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Lame Series: Sugar Free Apricot Orange Cake

Orange Apricot White Cake

Sometimes you just want a bite or two of something sweet, and not an enormous or full-sized dessert. Enter "Small Batch Baking" which is really a nifty little cookbook devoted to recipes which make very small quantities of your standard desserts. A recipe which makes 2 oatmeal cookies, or 4 cupcakes, or, this small white layer cake (made sugar free by me), cooked in empty tuna fish cans (I warshed 'em and took the labels off, but left one full can in to show scale). Overall, I've been very pleased with the book, but this entry doesn't do the book justice. It just demonstrates how lame and pitiful I can be.

This dessert classifies as lame because a) I didn't make the frosting. I tried the relatively new Pillsbury Reduced Sugar Icing and it was kinda fake tasting (gee, how shocking); b) I baked it in a toaster oven so it got a little dry; c) I spread no-sugar orange apricot fruit spread inside and made a royal mess; d) I didn't bother covering all the sides but I did manage a quick grating of orange zest to up the gourmet factor. Lame.

Resources: Small Batch Baking Cookbook
Flickr Group: Lots of photos of small batch items that are NOT lame.

3 comments:

  1. HA! I love this post! "Lame Series" - hilarious. I kind of wish I thought of that... we have plenty and all seem to be when I attempt to cook something sweet. I just can't do it. Give me a can, two pineapples and some octopus and I'll try really hard to come up with something edible, but baking... not my thing! i admire your honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same. Most of my lame ass efforts seem to be desserts. Just not a baker or decorator.

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE SHARE YOUR VALUABLE OPINION WITH THE WORLD. INQUIRING MINDS, MOSTLY MINE, WANT TO KNOW WHAT YOU THINK.